Assistant, Executive & Leadership
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, NY, dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. To this end, we provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming.
We are seeking a thoughtful, energetic, and extremely organized individual with experience in providing high-level administrative and relationship support to fill the position of Assistant, Executive & Leadership. The successful candidate will be able to work both collaboratively and independently, has a high level of sensitivity to confidential matters, and is committed to our values of equity and ecological resilience. This position is located on a working farm and requires a general understanding of food and farming and an interest in working in an agricultural environment.
The Assistant, Executive & Leadership is responsible for supporting the Executive Director and the Associate Director for Organizational Culture and Development by providing administrative, logistical, and special projects assistance.
The position includes a range of responsibilities from day-to-day office support and meeting preparation to project management assistance, logistics coordination, research, and editing. The Executive & Leadership Assistant coordinates projects on behalf of the ED and Associate Director, OD, including gathering and compiling information, interfacing with staff and/or external stakeholders as needed, and supporting projects to stay on deadline. He/she/they may be called upon to synthesize complex written material and produce materials for presentations and reports. He/she/they provide(s) coordination support for organization-wide processes, including calendaring, drafting communications, note-taking, tracking follow-up tasks, liaising with Farm Hub staff and consultants, and arranging meeting logistics.
Key working relationships for the Assistant include the Farm Hub Leadership Team, Farm Hub Oversight Committee, Finance and Administrative staff, as well as community members and partners. The Assistant, Executive & Leadership reports to the Executive Director.
Executive Director and Associate Director, Organizational Culture and Development
- Prepare resources and agendas for team meetings that involve the Executive Director or Associate Director
- Provide support in managing calendars for appointments and meetings, with a long range “line of sight” to plan for coordination across the organization
- Work closely with and across the Farm Hub Leadership Team to coordinate meetings, follow up, accountability, documentation of activities, notes and agreements; follow through on deadlines, deliverables, and agendas for shared projects and annual planning processes
- Assist in design and execution of projects that range across the portfolio of the ED and AD’s activities including, but not limited to capital projects, land stewardship, employee well-being initiatives, equity & justice learning and dialogue, and organizational assessment
- Serve as liaison between the ED and AD and Farm Hub staff to ensure day-to-day follow through on administrative functions as well as in support of clear lines of communication, information sharing, and project facilitation
- Maintain and organize electronic and paper filing systems for the ED and AD
- Track and manage ED and AD’s time tracking, expenses, and budget allocations, including monthly credit card reconciliation
- Prepare POs, make purchases, and work with finance department on budget tracking for ED and AD; assist ED and AD with contract development
- Work with AD to refine organizational processes and improvements, including the use of appropriate tools and technology to assist and improve effectiveness
- Provide assistance with all manner of ED and AD internal and external communications
- Assist with logistical coordination of meetings and events as needed
Farm Hub Oversight Committee Support
- Support the ED’s engagement with the Oversight Committee through coordination and creation of materials for and documentation of meetings
- Manage timelines, deadlines, and commitments for key Oversight Committee activities and needs accordingly with ED and appropriate staff
- Collaborate with the Communications team, ED, and Oversight Committee on announcements or related public relations items
- Coordinate all logistics for Oversight Committee meetings, including Zoom scheduling, room reservations, set-up, clean-up, and/or food service
- Provide coordinating support for Oversight Committee on-farm presence and associated visits as needed.
- Assist with coordination of special projects across the organization as assigned involving a range of topics including leadership development, organizational change management, research and analysis
- Represent the Farm Hub at events, meetings, and functions as requested 211111 HVFH Assistant, Executive & Leadership
- Collaborate with the ED and AD on ways to improve organizational culture and staff engagement
- Conduct other support tasks and special projects as assigned, which may involve a high level of improvisation, initiative, organizational knowledge, and critical thinking
- Provide occasional coverage for other staff members and assist at Farm Hub events as needed
- At least four years in a related position
- Superior communication skills (verbal and writing)
- Excellent organizational, project coordination, and time-management skills, and ability to track Qualifications multiple projects simultaneously; skill using technology applications to manage workflow
- High level interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), impeccable grammar, proofreading and editing skills and the ability to synthesize complex information
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently and to efficiently manage unplanned or new activities as they arise with agility
- Demonstrated commitment to confidentiality and discretion
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy
- Outstanding computer skills, including a thorough knowledge of Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in or familiarity with agriculture and food systems
- Demonstrated ability to foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration; committed to continuous improvement and a culture of learning
- Strong commitment to and understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values
- Valid driver’s license
- Proficiency in Spanish (verbal and written)
- Familiarity with Asana project management software and/or Microsoft Teams
- Bachelor’s degree Preferred
The Assistant, Executive & Leadership is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Please email a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in and fit for the position to our HR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only complete applications (cover letter and resume) will be considered.