Associate Director, People & Culture
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1,500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of ~60 employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate for this position will bring deep, demonstrable experience: in building out effective, efficient, and accessible departmental systems, as well as in developing and implementing progressive and innovative HR policies and practices that center employee wellness and a culture of belonging and safety (both emotional/psychological and physical safety). Candidates should have deep expertise and skill in managing most or all aspects of HR, including recruiting, payroll/compensation, benefits, employee relations, employee reviews, professional development, and regulatory compliance. As part of a small department, candidates should be adept and willing to be hands-on in the day-to-day administration of HR functions as well as enthusiastic about shaping the strategic vision. As important, he/she/they will have strong social-emotional skills and a passion for social justice as well as the ability to embrace “both/and” thinking and the complexity of systems/culture change. He/she/they will have alignment with the Farm Hub’s values of equity, ecological resilience, interconnection, and belonging as well as the flexibility, creativity, and desire to work in an organization whose work and culture is evolving towards alignment with those values.
Responsibilities include the following:
Employee Engagement & Development
- Develops, implements, and maintains: employee programs, benefits, processes, feedback opportunities, and initiatives that reflect the Farm Hub’s values, enhance its internal culture, and align HR strategy with organizational strategy
- Supervises and collaborates with Health and Safety Manager to implement the Farm Hub’s safety program, emphasizing education, injury and illness prevention, and both emotional and physical safety and wellness
- Promotes org-wide approach to internal professional and leadership development and continuous learning that supports staff to be productive, creative, and collaborative
- Manages employee relations
- Fosters, models and promotes a fostering and contributing to a communicative, compassionate, and productive workplace culture within their department and team
Recruiting and Hiring; Onboarding & Offboarding
- Oversees the full employee life cycle process, including recruitment and hiring, onboarding, leaves of absence, compensation, employee reviews, offboarding, etc
- Develops, manages, and leads the recruiting and hiring process, ensuring that the candidate experience is aligned with the Farm Hub’s values and identity
- Coordinates, develop and facilitate training programs for compliance or staff development.
Policies and Procedures
- Ensures compliance with federal and state statutes and laws, including but not limited to FMLA, ADA, OSHA, and sexual harassment
- Revises and maintains the employee handbook and any new HR policies and procedures, as needed
Payroll and Compensation
- Supervises Payroll and HR Administrator and ensures the individual is up-to-date on any changes in salary/status and work anniversaries that impact benefits eligibility
- With external benefits administration partners and the Payroll and HR Administrator, oversees all health benefits functions – compliance, enrollment, terminations, LOA’s, policy renewals and changes, and COBRA
- Manages the Worker’s Compensation process, with support from Health & Safety Manager
- Minimum 5 years of Human Resources experience in a senior business partner, business partner, or generalist capacity encompassing all to most aspects of HR, including recruiting, payroll/compensation, benefits (health, retirement, and other), organizational and management development, employee reviews, professional development, safety compliance and accident prevention (OSHA regulations), employee assistance, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience, including proven ability to train HR employees
- Bilingual: Fluency in English (written and verbal) with a strong proficiency in Spanish (at minimum); excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Knowledge of HR compliance requirements and all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers’ compensation, Medicare, OBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements; preferred knowledge of IRS and Cafeteria plan administration
- Broad knowledge of progressive and innovative performance management and HR practices
- Experience in owning, handling, and executing employee relations investigations and preparation of appropriate documentation
- Self-starter with proven ability to create efficient, logical systems for workflow and organization related to HR; ability to work autonomously
- Commitment to the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity, ecological resilience, interconnection, and belonging, demonstrated through work, activism, or personal experience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration; committed to a culture of continuous learning
- Strong social, emotional, and relationship management skills; ability to develop and nurture positive working relationships with people across different backgrounds
- Strong sense of self-awareness, humility, cultural competence, and sensitivity to power dynamics
- Trustworthy; high degree of judgment and discretion; knowledge of and ability to follow confidentiality rules
- Meticulously detail-oriented with excellent project and time management skills
- Strong computer skills and high level of comfortability with technology and workflow systems, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and digital file management systems, e.g. Dropbox
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (if driving Farm Hub vehicles)
- Full fluency in Spanish (as opposed to strong proficiency) (written and verbal)
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) Certification or comparable HR certification
- Knowledge of agricultural labor regulations, including the NYS Farm Laborers Fair Labor Practices Act
- Experience translating documents between English and Spanish, or willingness to become trained
The Associate Director, People & Culture is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with a competitive compensation package. We offer 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance for full-time employees and their families. Additional competitive benefits are offered including retirement plan and wellness benefits. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.