Associate Director, People & Culture
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1,500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of ~60 employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an energetic, motivated, and experienced bilingual human resources (HR) professional (Spanish-English) ready to take on the management of our HR functions, including reimagining our People & Culture department and making an impact on the culture and with the people of the Farm Hub. The Farm Hub underwent a change in ownership structure in 2021 which is requiring us to build out our internal People & Culture/HR departmental functions (previously held by a fiscal sponsor). Given this and the fact that we have a small department, candidates should be adept and willing to be hands on in the day-to-day administration of HR functions as well as enthusiastic about shaping the strategic vision for the department.
The successful candidate for this position will bring deep, demonstrable experience: in building out effective, efficient, and accessible departmental systems, as well as with developing and implementing progressive and innovative HR policies and practices that center employee wellness and a culture of belonging and safety (both emotional/psychological and physical safety). Ideal candidates will have deep expertise and skill in managing most or all aspects of HR, including recruiting, payroll/compensation, benefits, employee relations, employee reviews, professional development, and regulatory compliance. As important, he/she/they will have strong social-
emotional skills and a passion for social justice as well as the ability to embrace “both/and” thinking and the complexity of systems/culture change. He/she/they will have alignment with the Farm Hub’s values of equity, ecological resilience, interconnection, and belonging as well as the flexibility, creativity, and desire to work in an organization whose work and culture is evolving
towards alignment with those values.
The Associate Director, People & Culture fosters and stewards a progressive HR approach at the Farm Hub that nurtures a positive, productive, and fulfilling working environment for all staff. This person is responsible for managing and executing the full range of HR functions and programs. This includes but is not limited to: partnering with the Director of Organizational Development, People, & Culture and other senior leadership to make high-level, people-related decisions that create and maintain a values-aligned, healthy organizational culture; managing employee relations; coordinating, developing, and facilitating training programs for compliance or staff development; overseeing payroll and benefits administration; overseeing the full employee life cycle process including: recruitment and hiring, onboarding, leaves of absence, compensation, employee reviews, offboarding, etc.; and supervising a team of 1-3 people. In addition, this person is responsible for the development and rollout of values-aligned HR policies as well as regulatory compliance. As part of a small team, the Associate Director, People & Culture is responsible for the day-to-day functions of HR with the support of the Payroll & People Operations Administrator. This position reports to the Director of Organizational Development, People, & Culture.
- Minimum 5 years of Human Resources experience in a senior business partner, business partner, or generalist capacity encompassing all to most aspects of HR, including recruiting, payroll/compensation, benefits (health, retirement and other), organizational and management development, employee reviews, professional development, safety compliance and accident prevention (OSHA regulations), employee assistance, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience, including proven ability to train HR employees Bilingual: Fluency in English (written and verbal) with a strong proficiency in Spanish (at minimum); excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Spanish Knowledge of HR compliance requirements and all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers’ compensation, Medicare, OBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements; preferred knowledge of IRS and Cafeteria plan administration
- Broad knowledge of progressive and innovative performance management and HR practices
- Experience in owning, handling and executing employee relations investigations and preparation of appropriate documentation
- Self-starter with proven ability to create efficient, logical systems for workflow and organization related to HR; ability to work autonomously
- Commitment to the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity, ecological resilience, interconnection, and belonging, demonstrated through work, activism, or personal experience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration; committed to a culture of continuous learning
- Strong social, emotional, and relationship management skills; ability to develop and nurture positive working relationships with people across different backgrounds
- Strong sense of self-awareness, humility, cultural competence and sensitivity to power dynamics
- Trustworthy; high degree of judgment and discretion; knowledge of and ability to follow confidentiality rules
- Meticulously detail oriented with excellent project and time management skills
- Strong computer skills and high level of comfortability with technology and workflow systems, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook and digital file management systems, e.g. Dropbox
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (if driving Farm Hub vehicles)
- Bilingual – fluent in both Spanish and English
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) Certification or comparable HR certification
- Knowledge of agricultural labor regulations, including the NYS Farm Laborers Fair Labor Practices Act
- Experience translating documents between English and Spanish, or willingness to become trained
The Associate Director, People & Culture is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with a competitive salary range, based on years and level of experience and knowledge. We offer 100% employer paid health and dental insurance for full-time employees and their families. Additional competitive benefits are offered including retirement plan and wellness benefits. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with an ideal start date of August or early September. To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.