Farm Production Team Member & Delivery Driver
Leer en Español
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of 55 full-time employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
Position Summary: We are seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative and experienced driver who enjoys working as a part of a team to join the Farm Hub. As a Farm Production Team Member & Delivery Driver you will be working as a part of the Farm Hub operations team. The role’s primary focus is the safe and efficient delivery of Farm Hub products to partner organizations throughout the region and upholding the Farm Hub’s food safety standards during deliveries. Delivery, distribution, and warehouse duties encompass approximately half of the Farm Production Team Member & Delivery Driver’s hours. This may include assisting the field crops team with grain cleaning, grain packing/bagging, or general warehouse activities. The secondary focus of the delivery driver’s role is to support general farm operations. This may include assisting the vegetable operation with greenhouse, wash and pack, or field work. These duties will encompass approximately half of the Delivery Driver’s hours.
Distribution and Deliveries
- Safely and efficiently operates a 19,500 GVW refrigerated box truck and other vehicles as necessary, for single day delivery routes
- Efficiently and carefully loads and unloads delivery truck loads of full pallets
- Accurately transfers orders to partner organizations
- Maintains truck cleanliness
- Abides by all transportation laws and maintain safe driving record
- Accurately maintains appropriate paperwork, such as vehicle logs and bills of lading to comply with GAPs and other farm protocols
- Interfaces with customers and maintains friendly and responsive communications with them
Farm Production & Warehouse
- Assists with vegetable production tasks such as washing, packing, planting, harvesting, weeding, and greenhouse work
- Assists with grain production tasks such as grain cleaning, bagging, and inventory management
- Valid Driver’s license, clean driving record, and minimum 2 years driving experience; CDL not required
- Demonstrated experience operating large box truck vehicles and in transporting agricultural or food products safely and efficiently
- Full range of mobility required, including bending and crouching, as well as the ability to lift heavy items up to 50 lbs repeatedly
- Ability to communicate in a friendly professional manner with customers and co-workers
- Working knowledge of computer programs such as MS Excel, Google Sheets, MS Outlook,
- Experience with forklifts and pallet jacks preferred, or a willingness to be trained required
- English language proficiency (verbal and written)
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule with weekend, holiday, and evening hours required during the growing season
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem solve with people of different backgrounds
- Spanish proficiency (or at least some Spanish language skills and/or willingness to learn)
Position Details & Typical Schedule
The Farm Production Team Member & Delivery Driver position is a full-time, (non-exempt) hourly position with full benefits. Compensation for this position is $22.00 per hour with housing not included. We also pay time and a half for any hours worked over 40, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Hours per week of 40-55 are seasonally dependent; may flex to ~60/hour during busy harvest. From late fall through early spring, the schedule is Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. From late spring through mid-fall, there is usually a 7:00 am start time and the team often works half days on Saturdays.
To apply for this position, please fill out and email this form (https://hvfarmhub.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Employment-Application-copy.pdf) to hr[at]hvfarmhub.org. If you would prefer to print a paper copy and fill it out by hand, please mail it or drop it off at the main office at 1875 Hurley Mountain Rd., Hurley, NY 12443, Attn: People & Culture/Human Resources.
Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, socio-economic status, disability, or medic al condition.
HVFH complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and candidates with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at hr[at]hvfarmhub.org.