Grounds Team Member
Leer en Español
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of 55 full-time employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative individual who has experience with maintaining the overall upkeep of farm/agricultural grounds, roads, buildings, and equipment and who enjoys working as a part of a team to join the Farm Hub as a Grounds Team Member.
Working as a part of the Farm Hub operations team, the Grounds Team Member will perform general maintenance and upkeep of the Farm Hub’s extensive grounds, roads, vehicles, and buildings. This Grounds Team Member will also assist with event setup and take down, garbage/recycling pickup, snow removal/salting, and various other tasks related to the upkeep of farm property. The Grounds Team Member will report to the Grounds Team Crew Leader.
- Assists with maintenance and upkeep of all Farm Hub buildings, grounds, roads, and landscaping including, but not limited to:
- Mowing, string trimming, mulching, shoveling, filling potholes, raking, blowing, weeding, seeding grass, power washing, painting, and working with and around tractors, equipment, and power tools
- Works closely with the Grounds Team Crew Leader to ensure that all field hedge rows are free of fallen trees and obstructions
- Assists with Farm Hub vehicle cleaning
- Conducts routine equipment maintenance as needed
- Assists with on-site events
- Performs other duties, including general farm work, as assigned
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in grounds care, landscaping, or building maintenance
- Familiarity with grounds care equipment such as mowers, string trimmers, blowers, and tractors
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Clean driving record and access to reliable transportation
- Strong communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule with weekend, holiday, and evening hours required during the growing season
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem-solve with people of different backgrounds
- Experience operating tractors, equipment, forklifts, and power tools
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Experience or familiarity with organic vegetable production practices
- Email and general computer proficiency
- If not bilingual in both Spanish and English, conversational skills in the non-primary language
Position Details & Typical Schedule
The Grounds Team Member position is a full-time, (non-exempt) hourly position with full benefits. Compensation for this position is $22.00 per hour with housing not included. We also pay time and a half for any hours worked over 40, along with a comprehensive benefit package.
Hours per week of 40-55 are seasonally dependent; may flex to ~60/hour during busy harvest.
From late fall through early spring, the schedule is Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. From late spring through mid-fall, there is usually a 7:00 am start time and the team often works half days on Saturdays.
To apply for this position, please fill out and email this form (https://hvfarmhub.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Employment-Application-copy.pdf) to hr[at]hvfarmhub.org. If you would prefer to print a paper copy and fill it out by hand, please mail it or drop it off at the main office at 1875 Hurley Mountain Rd., Hurley, NY 12443, Attn: People & Culture/Human Resources.
Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, socio-economic status, disability, or medical condition.
HVFH complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and candidates with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at hr[at]hvfarmhub.org.