Health and Safety Manager￼
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1,500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of ~60 employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will bring deep, demonstrable experience in developing effective, clear, and compliant health and safety policies and procedures, ideally in an agricultural environment (or another high-risk sector). They will have deep expertise and skill in managing all aspects of environmental health and safety, including policy development, regulatory compliance, recordkeeping and reporting, incident/accident investigation and reporting, emergency preparedness, and employee education and training. Successful candidates will have strong social-emotional skills and alignment with the Farm Hub’s values of equity, ecological resilience, interconnection, and belonging. Of utmost importance, candidates for this role will have a proven ability to develop collaborative relationships with employees and to establish a firm, yet clear and compassionate approach the Farm Hub’s safety programs, centering employee wellness and a culture of belonging and safety (both physical and emotional/psychological safety).
Responsibilities include the following:
Safety planning, policies, and implementation
- Develops, implements, and administers all environmental health and safety policies and programs at the organization and ensures that the Farm Hub maintains full compliance with local, state, and federal worker safety regulations related to OSHA, DEC, FDA, EPA, and NYSDOL
- Monitors health and safety risks and hazards in the workplace
- Chairs and facilitates relevant committees related to workplace safety (i.e. safety committee; infectious disease committee)
Compliance and recordkeeping
- Maintains departmental records, ensuring that all recordkeeping is timely and conforms to current regulations and Farm Hub policy.
- Conducts and/or coordinates inspections, reviews, and audits across all areas of the operation and facility to confirm proper adherence to established safety protocols
Employee training and communication
- Coordinates and/or develops and leads worker safety trainings for all Farm Hub employees (required trainings for all-staff as well as specialized trainings)
- Maintains central posting area, ensuring it is up to date with all required safety postings in both English and Spanish
- Maintains active, open, and clear channels of communication with staff related to environmental health and safety
Incident, accident, and injury reporting
- Acts as point person for all workplace incidents and injuries (investigation, documentation, recordkeeping, liaising with relevant agencies and insurance providers, providing guidance in regards to preventing and/or correcting future incidents)
- Manages OSHA reporting and all documentation including: annual reports as required (i.e. OSHA 300 and 300A).
- Supports Associate Director with worker’s comp administration
Emergency preparedness and response
- Develops protocols for emergency situations and manages emergency response procedures (such as fire alarm drills) and organizes emergency teams such as fire marshals and first aiders
- With the P&C team, manage response to illness outbreaks (including COVID)
Administration and professional development
- Develops and oversees farm safety budget lines; identifies needed resources and equipment and resources and their related costs
- Manages external consultants, including liaising with them on SOW and contract development, development of agendas and training, and coordinating travel and other logistics
- Three to five years of experience in occupational health, environmental health and safety familiarity with programs in workplace safety programs; agricultural industry experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships with people across different backgrounds.
- Proven ability to develop agendas and facilitate meetings and trainings; demonstrated success in leading employee trainings.
- Strong skills in accuracy and data collection, record keeping, and organization.
- Ability to work independently and manage a project from its initiation to completion with minimal supervision
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Language: proficiency in English (verbal and written); bilingual proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred
- Experience developing and writing successful safety plans, SOPs, and reports (including incident reports)
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies, in particular as they pertain to agriculture
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PPT)
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at a time
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Bachelor’s Degree or certification in Occupational Health or related field
- Knowledge of or a willingness to learn how to lead employee trainings using popular education/participatory learning methods
- Experience and/or familiarity with agriculture, manufacturing, food processing, and/or construction industries
- First Aid and/or emergency response certification
- Language: proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred (verbal and written)
The Manager, Health and Safety is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with a competitive compensation package. We offer 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance for full-time employees and their families. Additional competitive benefits are offered including retirement plan and wellness benefits. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, HVFH is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people that meet the requirements of the job.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for review and consideration. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.