Lead Buildings Mechanic ￼￼
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1,500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. The main farmstead is comprised of multiple facilities including a 20,000 square-foot LEED certified machine shop, wash and pack cold storage, a granary (soon to include a temporary mill), office buildings in four locations, and several units of on-site housing. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of ~60 employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm production, operations, and programs.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking a proactive, motivated, and detail-oriented individual with five years of relevant experience in construction, framing, buildings maintenance, and/or carpentry to join our team as Lead Buildings Mechanic. The ideal candidate will have advanced carpentry skills, familiarity and comfort working with heavy machinery and lifts, and demonstrable experience leading a team. As part of a small team, this person should be comfortable performing both the most basic of maintenance needs as well as stepping back to provide direction and project management to the Assistant Buildings Mechanic to complete projects. Successful candidates will bring supervisory experience, including the ability to support employee professional development and to foster a team and work environment of mutual respect and collaboration.
Working in collaboration with the Construction and Facilities Manager, the Lead Buildings Mechanic leads a small Buildings Mechanics Team. This team, which includes the Lead Buildings Mechanic and an Assistant Buildings Mechanic, is charged with keeping the Farm Hub’s infrastructure both well-functioning and attractive year-round (includes an array of buildings: farm production facilities, on-site housing, office buildings). Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- ensuring and performing proper maintenance, upkeep, and improvements of Farm Hub facilities, and to do so safely, efficiently, and with high quality;
- performing and/or overseeing the Assistant Buildings Mechanic to perform: carpentry, plumbing work, painting, flooring, minor electrical repairs and general system maintenance (including operating or working around heavy machinery);
- conducting and/or leading their team to conduct renovations and construction projects on the farm;
- collaborating to support Farm Hub program staff to offer programming to other employees, partner organizations, and/or external participants around farm-related construction or carpentry skills
- fostering and contributing to a communicative, compassionate, and productive workplace culture within their department and team;
- tracking buildings asset inventory and work orders using CMMS software; and • maintaining the department’s tools and carpentry shop space
- supervising the Assistant Buildings Mechanic
- performing general farm work and other duties
The Lead Buildings Mechanic is part of the Construction and Facilities department. On a typical day, the Lead Buildings Mechanic will interface with the Construction and Facilities Manager (their supervisor), the Construction and Facilities Coordinator (re: work orders, administration, and budget tracking), and the Assistant Buildings Mechanic (who reports to the Lead Buildings Mechanic and works with them on projects “on the ground”). The Lead Buildings Mechanic also works across departments, with farm mechanic, farm production, program, and administrative staff. Due to the nature of the Farm Hub business operations, evening and weekend work may be required.
- Three to five years of prior experience in a similar position in construction, framing, and/or carpentry
- Advanced construction skills including: general repair work, light carpentry, painting, plumbing repairs, electrical repairs, landscaping, tractor operation, work from ladders and expertise in the use of hand and power tools including Skill saw, table saw and all power tools; understanding of level, plumb and square
- Demonstrated experience supervising employees and/or leading a team in a buildings, facilities, or construction context, including track record of delivering high quality work and supporting employee professional development and growth
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and safely, including providing clear and effective instructions
- Experience and comfort with operating and/or working around heavy machinery and working at heights
- Physical strength and stamina, including ability to push, pull, lift, scrub, kneel, climb and other physical tasks; ability to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Familiarity with and comfort using Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel) and tech savvy enough to learn new applications quickly
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Proactive and motivated; ability to work independently as well as within a team (both as a leader and team member)
- Detail oriented; track record of working neatly and cleanly
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and to adapt to changing demands and priorities • Well-developed communication skills and ability to offer and/or take feedback and directions with a supportive and open attitude
- Honest, trust worthy, punctual and dependable
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem solve with people of different backgrounds
- Language: proficient English skills (verbal and written)
- Language: proficient Spanish skills (verbal and written)
- Experience with work order and/or CMMS software
The Lead Buildings Mechanic is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position. Some weekend and/or evening hours will be required as necessary. We offer competitive compensation, based on experience. The Farm Hub’s benefits package includes paid vacation and holidays as well as 100% employer paid health and dental insurance for full-time employees and their families. Additional benefits include an employer funded Health Reimbursement Account; $500 starter funding in a Flexible Spending Account (to which an employee can opt to contribute additional funds); a $1,125 quarterly, taxable payment intended for employee-directed wellness spending; and a monthly, generous employer contribution to retirement account after two years of full-time employment.
The position is on-site full-time, so candidate must be able to commute easily to Hurley, NY.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.