The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1600 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of 60 full-time employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative individual who has at least five years of mechanic experience working on agricultural equipment and trucks, including large equipment.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience managing a shop facility as well as a proven ability to supervise and mentor a team of mechanics. They should thrive in a farm production environment that is quickly growing and taking on new projects which require on-the-job innovation and experimentation. The candidate should be excited by the Farm Hub’s production practices, nonprofit mission, and the opportunity to participate in a collaborative environment. Successful candidates will have strong social-emotional skills and alignment with the Farm Hub’s values of equity, ecological resilience, interconnection, and belonging. Of utmost importance, candidates for this role will have excellent communication skills and a proven ability to develop collaborative relationships with employees. Additionally, the ideal candidate should have experience operating tractors, combines, and/ or other farm equipment. Spanish language proficiency (or conversational level Spanish) is a plus.
Working as part of the Farm Hub operations team, the Shop Manager will be responsible for overseeing the maintenance and repair of all farm production equipment, as well as the management of the Farm Hub mechanic’s shop and parts room. The shop manager will ensure a safe working environment at all times; supervise shop team members; schedule maintenance and repairs in a timely fashion based on the needs of the production operation; maintain accurate records; perform ordering of parts, equipment, and supplies; and collaborate with the Farm Hub’s program staff to offer mechanic training. The shop manager will also perform general maintenance on Farm Hub facilities as needed.
The Shop Manager will work with the Farm Hub management team to lead trainings for staff in shop equipment fundamentals, operation, maintenance, and safety. The Shop Manager is required to participate in other educational programming pertaining to equipment and the equipment shop. As needed, the Shop Manager may be assigned other duties beyond maintenance, including local grain deliveries, general farm work, and equipment operation.
The Shop Manager will report to the Director of Farm Production. On a day-to-day basis, this role works closely with the Director of Farm Production, Assistant Farm Manager, Construction & Facilities Manager, members of the Veg and Field Crops production teams, and members of the Finance team.
This role is co-responsible for fostering and contributing to a safe, supportive, communicative, compassionate, and productive workplace culture with their colleagues.
- Oversee maintenance and repair of the Farm Hub’s fleet of tractors, vehicles, and equipment; create a schedule for vehicle maintenance & trade-in
- Implement and maintain inventory management systems for the Farm Hub’s parts room
- Supervise shop team members/mechanics
- Manage relationships with the Farm Hub’s various vendors for service, parts, and equipment
- Collaborate with Farm Hub education programming and affiliated instructors, be available to facilitate, provide instruction, or participate in Farm Hub educational events, pertaining to the shop
- Manage shop facility, including coordinating use of shop space, tools, and parts for Farm Hub production, operations, and program team members
- Be a resource on general maintenance and repair and operation of farm equipment, ensure that the shop is a welcoming place for all employees
- Make local grain deliveries with the Farm Hub tractor trailer or grain trucks
- Emphasize safe work practices and safe machine operation in daily tasks and convey the importance of safety to others; ensure that all shop activities are being performed safely; maintain a clean, organized shop space
- Ensure the shop tools are maintained in a safe, clean, and organized manner; order tools when needed
- Collaborate with Director of Farm Production on annual safety trainings; make recommendations on needs/issues around safety as they arise
- Oversee all relevant shop records including maintenance and repair for tractors, vehicles, and equipment, vehicle registration and inspection, parts inventory, and purchase records
- Conduct routine equipment maintenance as needed in Farm Hub facilities
- Represent the Farm Hub at meetings/gatherings, as requested
- Provide overview and/ or tours of the Farm Hub’s shop facilities and equipment to visitors and program participants, as requested
- Participate in annual equipment budget planning process
- Perform other duties, including general farm work, as assigned
*The position summary, responsibilities and qualifications are not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible responsibilities, tasks and duties. Full job description is available upon request.
- Five years mechanics experience with agriculture equipment focus, including combine and truck maintenance
- Experience overseeing a mechanic shop and/or parts and tools inventory or fleet of equipment
- Demonstrated experience successfully supervising employees
- Efficient metal welding, cutting, and fabrication skills
- Language: English language proficiency (verbal and written)
- Proficiency in and/or familiarity with Microsoft 365 applications (Outlook, Word, Excel) and Google Workspace tools and applications such as Google Drive, Doc’s, Sheets’ Forms, and Google Slides;
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and foster a work environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem solve with people of different backgrounds
- Must be personable, flexible, and possess excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record; must have CDL class A, or a willingness to obtain
- Language: full proficiency in both Spanish and English preferred (verbal and written)
- Experence mentoring and/or teaching mechanic skills
Must be able to handle tools required to perform automobile repair. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Requires ability to operate heavy machinery, and or automobile to drive to and from various worksites on and off the Farm Hub property. May be exposed to various weather conditions, fumes, gasoline vapors (or other automobile fluids), odors, dust, heat, and noise.
Travel: Possible overnight travel 0-5% of the time.
The Shop Manager is a full-time salaried, exempt position working 40-55 Hours weekly; occasional evenings and weekends are required, including being on-call on Saturdays during the farming season. The salary range for the position is $75,000 – $90,000 annually. We offer a competitive benefits package which includes 100% employer paid health and dental insurance for full-time employees and their families. Some additional perks offered include retirement, life insurance and other wellness benefits.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
To apply for this position, please apply via Indeed using the following link – Shop Manager – Apply Here. If you have any questions or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact us at hr[at]hvfarmhub.org and include the following in the subject line: Attn: Shop Manager Application – People & Culture Department.