Tractor Operator & Field Crops Team Member
Leer en Español
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of 55 full-time employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative individual who has experience operating tractors, combines, and/or other farm equipment. The ideal candidate will have experience growing small grains and other field crops (wheat, rye, field corn, soy, cover crops etc.) and who enjoys working as a part of a team.
The Tractor Operator and Field Crops Team Member’s primary responsibility will be to operate tractors, implements, and other farm machinery relating to the Farm Hub’s organic field crops production. The tractor operator also supports grain cleaning operations in the Farm Hub’s granary and seed storage facility. This position will report to the Farm Manager. As part of a collaborative team structure, this role works to uplift other Field Crops Team members’ leadership and expertise. Additionally, you will be co-responsible for fostering and contributing to a safe, supportive, communicative, compassionate, and productive workplace culture with your colleagues.
- Assist the Field Crops Team with all tractor and equipment operations pertaining to field crops production included, but not limited to:
- Tillage, cultivation, spraying, compost application, harvest, direct seeding, post-harvest handling, mowing, mulching, cover cropping.
- Assist in record keeping
- Operate tractors and implements safely and effectively
- Conduct routine equipment maintenance and adjustments as needed
- Support grain storage, cleaning, and packing operations
- Support Farm Manager to implement equipment and Shop safety training with HVFH employees
- Participate in training, workshops and staff meetings related to farm operations
- Other duties, including general farm work, as assigned
- Three or more years operating tractors and equipment on a farm operation, including routine maintenance and adjustment
- Willingness to have a flexible schedule with evening and weekend hours as required
- Experience working and communicating as part of a team
- Strong communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work efficiently and with attention to detail
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in an environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem solve with people of different backgrounds
- Verbal proficiency in either Spanish or English
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (if driving Farm Hub vehicles)
- Experience working on an organic or biodynamic farm
- Combine, truck, and other large equipment operation experience
- Familiarity with grain storage and cleaning systems
- Use of Microsoft Office software and production record systems
- If not bilingual in both Spanish and English, conversational skills in the non-primary language
Position Details & Typical Schedule
The Tractor Operator & Field Crops Team Member is a full-time, (non-exempt) hourly position with full benefits. Compensation for this position is $22.00 per hour with housing not included. We also pay time and a half for any hours worked over 40, along with a comprehensive benefit package. From late fall through early spring, the schedule is Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. From late spring through mid-fall, there is usually a 7:00 am start time and the team often works half days on Saturdays.
To apply for this position, please fill out and email this form to hr[at]hvfarmhub.org. If you would prefer to print a paper copy and fill it out by hand, please mail it or drop it off at the main office at 1875 Hurley Mountain Rd., Hurley, NY 12443, Attn: People & Culture/Human Resources.
Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, socio-economic status, disability, or medical condition.
HVFH complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and candidates with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at hr[at]hvfarmhub.org.