Vegetable Production Team Member, Full Time
Leer en Español
The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a non-profit center for resilient agriculture located in Ulster County, New York. Founded in 2013, HVFH is dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We provide professional farmer training, host and conduct research, cultivate language justice, and support food access efforts in the region through food donations and innovative mission-aligned programming. We grow grains, cover crops, and vegetables with production taking place year-round across 1500 acres of farmland and a suite of greenhouses. A diverse, multi-lingual staff of 55 full-time employees serve in varied roles in areas of administration, farm operations, and programs.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative individual who has experience doing field and/or greenhouse-based farm work and who enjoys working as a part of a team to join the Farm Hub as a Vegetable Production Team Member.
Working as part of the Farm Hub Team, the Vegetable Production Team Member is a core member of the team responsible for the day-to-day production activities of the Farm Hub’s year-round vegetable operation. You will perform general agricultural work, including fieldwork, greenhouse operations, field preparation, planting, cultivation, harvest and post-harvest handling.
As a Vegetable Production Team member, you will practice and model safe and effective work practices in the field and greenhouse. Additionally, you will participate in training, workshops and staff meetings related to farm operations during work hours. Other duties may be assigned.
The Vegetable Production Team Member reports to the Vegetable Production Co-Manager..
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct field operations including preparation, irrigation, planting, cultivation and harvest
- Wash and pack vegetables for storage and distribution
- Conduct greenhouse work, including seeding, prepping beds, and trellising
- Participate in training, workshops and staff meetings related to farm operations during work hours
- Assist with training of other staff as appropriate
- Provide support to farm record keeping
- Conduct routine equipment maintenance and adjustments as needed
- General farm and greenhouse work as assigned
- Assist Vegetable Production Co-Managers, Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager as needed.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience doing field-based farm and/or greenhouse work
- Ability and willingness to do physical work outside in variety of weather conditions
- Experience working and communicating as part of a team
- Ability to work efficiently and with attention to detail
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Commitment to and willingness to deepen understanding of the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
- Demonstrated ability to participate in an environment of mutual respect and collaboration; ability to develop positive working relationships and problem solve with people of different backgrounds
- Verbal proficiency in either Spanish or English
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (if driving Farm Hub vehicles)
- Tractor operation experience
- Experience or familiarity with organic vegetable production practices
- Email and general computer proficiency
- If not bilingual in both Spanish and English, conversational skills in the non-primary language
The Vegetable Production Team Member is a full-time, (non-exempt) hourly position with full benefits. Compensation for this position is $22.00 per hour with housing not included. We also pay time and a half for any hours worked over 40, along with a comprehensive benefit package.
From late fall through early spring, the schedule is Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. From late spring through mid-fall, there is usually a 7:00 am start time and the team often works half days on Saturdays.
To apply for this position, please fill out and email this form to hr[at]hvfarmhub.org. If you would prefer to print a paper copy and fill it out by hand, please mail it or drop it off at the main office at 1875 Hurley Mountain Rd., Hurley, NY 12443, Attn: People & Culture/Human Resources.
Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, socio-economic status, disability, or medical condition.
HVFH complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and candidates with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Human Resources at hr[at]hvfarmhub.org.